Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - by Chef Al Levinsohn
Watch the video...
Click here for nutritional information for this recipe...
Oysters and Tomato Mint Salsa
6 fresh oysters
1/4 cup of pineapple - fresh (about 5 to 6)
1/4 cup cucumbers - fresh, and finely chopped
1/4 cup of tomatoes - freshly chopped
1/4 cup of red onions - fresh and peeled
1 teaspoon of fresh mint
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of oil blend: 90 percent canola and 10 percent other
To taste, salt and pepper
1. Shuck oysters, trying to keep liquid in the shell.
2. Combine remaining ingredients to form salsa. Cool oysters for 3 to 4 minutes in 300-degree oven until just cooked through but moist.
3. Serve with 1 teaspoon of salsa per oyster. Serve on bed of sea salt and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Blackened Chicken Salad with Honey Dressing
4 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces)
2 ounces of blackened spice (recipe follows)
10 ounces of fresh romaine lettuce - pre-chopped
10 ounces of salad mix, with lettuce, cabbage and carrots
1/2 piece of fresh yellow squash
1/2 piece of zucchini squash - freshly sliced
1 cup of fresh alfalfa sprouts
8 ounces of low-fat honey jalapeÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâo dressing (recipe follows)
1 7-inch wheat pizza crust
1. Prep vegetables and cut lettuce. Pre dressing and hold for service.
2. Heat sautÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâ pan on very high heat. Season chicken breast with spices and cook spice-side down for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is half cooked. Turn over and repeat on other side. Hold warm for service.
3. Plate up lettuce and garnish with cut vegetables and top with blackened chicken breast. Garnish with honey jalapeÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâo dressing and whole wheat croutons. Keep salad below 40 degrees at all times.
Low-Fat Honey JalapeÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâo Dressing
1/2 cup of fresh onions - pre-diced
1 tablespoon of garlic - chopped in oil
1 1/2 pint of light mayonnaise
1/4 cup of oil blend: 90 percent canola and 10 percent other
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar - 50 grain
1/2 cup of grade A honey clover
1 tablespoon of fresh basil
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley - chopped
3 fresh jalapeÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâos
1/4 teaspoon of ionized salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1. Rinse, seed and finely chop jalapeÃÆÃÆÃâÃâÃÆÃâÃâÃâos. Get remaining ingredients ready.
2. Combine ingredients. STA and adjust seasoning if necessary. Let stand for one hour before serving. Thin with skin milk if consistency is too thick. Keep dressing below 40 degrees at all times.