by Rebecca Palsha
Sunday, May 9, 2010
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A fire destroyed a Chugiak house Sunday afternoon, leaving a family of five without a home.
The Chugiak Volunteer Fire Department says the fire started about 1 p.m. Sunday on Tundra Rose Avenue.
The people inside -- two adults, two children and a baby -- were able to escape and firefighters saved four dogs and a bird, but officials say several other animals died in the fire. The homeowners were active in animal rescue and had been housing the animals until they could find permanent homes.
The Red Cross has put the family in a hotel, and is helping them with lodging and food. The fire department says the blaze started because of an electrical problem.
Contact Rebecca Palsha at email@example.com