by Channel 2 News staff
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- According to the State Department of Environmental Conservation, four people have suspected cases of paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).
PSP is a potentially lethal toxin that can lead to fatal respiratory paralysis.
In Kodiak, the three reported cases are associated with eating butter clams dug at Chiniak Beach and Middle Bay.
In Juneau, one case is linked to eating cockles, a type of hard shell clam, gathered from the Point Louisa end of Auke Bay.
The DEC warns people should not eat shellfish from beaches not certified as safe.
There are no certified beaches safe for shellfish collection in Kodiak or Southeast Alaska.
The DEC warning does not apply to commercially grown and harvested shellfish available in grocery stores and restaurants.
They are tested regularly before going to the market.
People who eat shellfish collected from uncertified beaches and experience shortness of breath, tingling, dizziness and numbness should seek medical attention immediately.