ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Fresh off Saturday’s 32-16 victory over top-ranked Chugiak, the West Eagles have moved into the No. 1 position in the latest ASBN large schools prep football poll.
The Eagles (3-0) manhandled the Mustangs (2-1) on the night Chugiak was celebrating the dedication of its football field. The stadium was re-named after long time Mustang football coach Tom Huffer Sr.
Before the contest Chugiak coach Duncan Shackleford said “losing was not an option.” Apparently, the Eagles didn’t get that memo. Instead, for the second time this season, West beat the No. 1-ranked team in the state, and as a result, the Eagles are now No. 1.
Juneau (3-0) holds on to the No. 2 ranking after a 17-7 win over Railbelt foe Palmer. Service (2-1) moves into the No. 3 spot after scoring 30 points in the fourth quarter to beat South. The Mustangs slip to fourth in this week’s poll, while Bartlett (2-1) rounds out the top five.
Soldotna leads the small schools poll. The Stars (3-0) held off Homer 26-20 on Saturday.
Kenai (2-1) is second in the rankings, followed by Thunder Mountain (3-0), Eielson (2-1) and Skyview (2-1).
ASBN Large Schools Football Poll:
1. West 3-0 (Next week: vs. South)
2. Juneau 3-0 (Next week: vs. Colony)
3. Service 2-1 (Next week: vs. East)
4. Chugiak 2-1 (Next week: vs. Dimond)
5. Bartlett 2-1 (Next week: vs. Eagle River)
ASBN Small Schools Football Poll:
1. Soldotna 3-0 (Next week: vs. Houston)
2. Kenai 2-1 (Next week: vs. Palmer)
3. Thunder Mountain 3-0 (Next week: vs. Ketchikan)
4. Eielson 2-1 (Next week: vs. Monroe)
5. Skyview 2-1 (Next week: vs. Homer)
Contact John Carpetner at email@example.com.