Chef Al shows you how to make a real Creole classic this week with chicken and sausage jambalaya.
1/2 Cup butter
1 lb diced raw chicken meat, 1-inch dice
2 red onions, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped with seeds
1 Tbsp. Creole Seasoning
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 lb Andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2-14 1/2-oz cans chicken broth
1-16-oz can plum tomatoes, diced, with liquid
3 Cups long-grain rice
1. Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken and sausage and lightly brown.
3. Add red onions, half the green onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeño, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and oregano.
4. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
5. Mix in tomato paste.
6. Add broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring mixture to simmer.
7. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
8. Garnish with remaining green onion and serve.