ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A fire in Mountain View early Sunday morning left eight families displaced from their homes. The Anchorage Fire Department says the fire broke out in an apartment building on Thompson Avenue at about 6:30 a.m.
Fire crews were able to get the flames under control within half an hour. Officials say the fire started in a downstairs bathroom, and believe the cause to be mechanical.
Fifteen people were evacuated from the building, and one person was taken to the hospital for evaluation.
The Red Cross is providing aid and is opening up its shelter in Fairview to accommodate the families.