ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A 42-year-old Talkeetna woman died in a house fire near Willow, just up the road from another fatal fire last week.
At about 10:36 a.m. Firefighters were called to a fire at Mile 87.2 of the Parks Highway.
One person escaped the fire and told investigators that Julia Weber did not make it out of the home. Weber’s remains were recovered from the home after the fire was contained.
Troopers say a dog also died.
Investigators found that an explosion occurred just before the fire started and that there is an inactive propane network that could have been the source.
Strong winds hampered firefighting efforts and the home and three other outbuildings were destroyed.
Damages exceed $250,000.