ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A groundskeeper called the Anchorage Fire Department for assistance when the winds picked up a fire he started while burning grass at the South Anchorage Sports Complex.
The groundskeeper, a contractor hired to manage the fields, did not have a fire extinguisher and called 911 when he realized the winds would likely take the planned burn beyond the ball field and into the woods.
There is no city water hookup at the field, so firefighters used their trucks to handle the blaze before it reached the woods.
Despite the wind, Monday was an authorized burn day.
There was no other damage to the facility.