ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A carbon monoxide scare in Anchorage last week is highlighting the dangers many homeowners face at this time of year.
When Brian Ross arrived home from work last Tuesday evening, he opened the door to his Independence Park condominium and heard an alarm beeping.
It turns out it was his carbon monoxide detector, which was picking up high levels of the deadly gas.
Firefighters confirmed the presence of CO and traced it to the furnace. Ice was blocking an exhaust pipe on Ross’s balcony, and the fumes had nowhere to go but back into the condo.
“I was just plain lucky that this happened while I was out, and not when I was asleep,” wrote Ross on his Facebook page immediately following the incident.
Ross’s call was just one of several regarding CO the Anchorage Fire Department typically responds to every day during the winter.