ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Iron Dog snowmachine race leaders Marc McKenna and Dusty VanMeter held on to the lead they took en route to Nome Tuesday,becoming the first racers into Tanana Friday as the 2,000-mile race approaches a Saturday finish in Fairbanks.
According to race officials, Team 17 drivers McKenna and VanMeter pulled into Tanana at 2:13 p.m., followed by Team 6 drivers Tyler Huntington and Tre West at 3:01 p.m. and Team 2’s Ryan Sottosanti and Andrew Zwink at 3:08 p.m. Many teams are wrapping up mandatory 10-hour layovers after arriving in Ruby Friday morning, promising a competitive field during the night.
As of 4 p.m. Friday, the Iron Dog’s standings page listed the following top five teams, although race officials said positions were being updated:
1. Team 17, McKenna and VanMeter, into Tanana at 2:13 p.m.
2. Team 6, Huntington and West, into Tanana at 3:01 p.m.
3. Team 2, Sottosanti and Zwink, into Tanana at 3:08 p.m.
4. Team 16, Minnick and Olstad, into Ruby at 12:50 p.m.
5. Team 10, Morgan and Olds, en route from Ruby to Tanana